Hello everyone! This is a very special double post day. Today is Beverly Cleary’s 100th birthday!! This post will introduce you to Beverly, show you some of her achievements and books, and celebrate her birthday.
Name: Beverly Atlee Cleary
Born in: Mcminnville, Oregon
Age: 100 years old!
Currently Lives: Carmel, California
Profession: Famous Children’s Author
- Started reading in 3rd grade. She had problems with reading at first. After conquering reading, she read for most of her childhood.
- Started out as a children’s librarian in Yakima, Washington
- She married Clarence T. Cleary in 1940. Clarence sadly passed in 2004. They had two twins a girl and a boy. The twins are now grown up.
- Her books have been captivating readers for over 60 years.
- She has her own sculpture garden in Portland Oregon
- She has a library named after her in Oregon
What has Beverly Written?
Beverly Cleary has written many books that are loved by generations. These books include:
- Dear Mr. Henshaw
- The Mouse and the Motorcycle
- Ralph S. Mouse
- The Ramona series
- Henry Huggins
- Mitch and Amy
- Runaway Ralph
I have loved her books for a long time. I wouldn’t hesitate to reread them even now as a teenager.
What awards has she earned?
- 1978 Newbery Honor Book, Ramona and Her Father
- 1982 Newbery Honor Book, Ramona Quimby, Age 8
- 1984 Newbery Medal, Dear Mr. Henshaw
- National Book Award, Ramona and Her Mother
- Catholic Library Association’s 1980 Regina Medal Award
- University of Southern Mississippi’s 1982 Silver Medallion
- Children’s Book Council 1985 Everychild Award
- American Library Association’s 1975 Laura Ingalls Wilder Award
- Named a 2000 Library of Congress “Living Legend”
Beverly Cleary has won over 35 state awards based on readers vote.
How are people celebrating her birthday?
- Celebrations at Libraries
- Her own documentary showing!
- Video wishes and cards
- New editions of her books by famous fans
- Today is Drop Everything And Read Day in honor of Cleary
- And so much more
What is this beloved author doing to celebrate?
Having a slice of carrot cake 🙂
Happy 100th birthday Beverly Atlee Cleary! Even if you don’t want people to fuss, they sure will!
I hope you learned a ton about Beverly Cleary. She is one of my favorite authors and probably always will be.
Thanks for reading!
~Makayla the Bookworm 😀